Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The 1.3-million-member United Food Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Junior Web Developer to be responsible for the design, analysis, implementation, and maintenance of web based application solutions. A firm understanding of departmental responsibilities is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides assistance to various departments in the development and maintenance of database and web-based platforms and tool sets in support of headquarters and field operations and provides end user support for all staff.
- Creates project specifications for web-based applications.
- Designs, builds and maintains enterprise applications software using appropriate programming languages. Applications are mainly web-based.
- Provides and conducts training of headquarters and field staff as needed regarding the use of UFCW proprietary software and applications as assigned.
- Performs routine and specific maintenance of proprietary software programs and applications as necessary.
- Directs production, installation and turnover of approved code changes for application objects to the production environments.
- Follows departmental standards and assist in preparing and updating documentation.
- Demonstrates a high sense of ownership of user problems.
- Expected to assist field IT staff
- Creates reports using UFCW data.
- Participates in continuous learning.
- Works with others in IT to provide technical guidance during all phases of the development process.
- Works with vendors and staff in evaluating and implementing new technologies.
- Contributes to team effort by working with other department staff.
- Maintains the security of UFCW operations by keeping information confidential.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following subject areas: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or related field preferred.
- A strong understanding of web-based application theories, principles, and practices.
- Must have initiative.
- Must be able to balance conflicting demands and changing priorities and anticipate future needs.
- Must be able to use discretion, follow department protocol, handle a wide range of sensitive situations and recognize when to refer to a higher level.
- Must be organized and work quickly and accurately under deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required. Ability to work without direct supervision.
The UFCW provides a very generous benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance provided with ability to purchase supplemental life insurance at favorable rates.
- Retirement Savings Account.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Pension plan.
- Dependent care reimbursement account program.
- Health care reimbursement account program.
- Transportation program benefits.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid short-term sick leave, Extended Sick Leave program, paid parental leave.
To apply submit cover letter and resume: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/71191604
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.