On Thursday, March 11, President Joe Biden signed the COVID relief bill into law. This will provide millions of workers and families with the urgent relief they need as the COVID-19 pandemic continues.
UFCW President Marc Perrone said:
“In grocery stores and meatpacking plants across the country, millions of essential workers are on the frontlines as they face the daily threat of COVID infection to protect our food supply during this crisis.
With the American Rescue Plan, these brave frontline workers will receive the support they have earned as they continue to put their own health at risk so that our families can put food on the table.”
What’s in the American Rescue Plan for UFCW Members:
- Relief Payments: Provides $1,400 in relief payments per person for individuals making less than $75,000 and married couples making less than $150,000. along with additional tax relief for working families with children.
- Childcare: Includes $15 billion for the Child Care and Development Block Grant and allows those funds to be used by essential workers.
- COVID Testing and Vaccine: Provides funding towards testing, contact tracing, PPE, and vaccine distribution.
- Health and safety: Provides $100 million for increased workplace protections including money to support working training and enforcement for high-risk work activities through OSHA.
- Retirement Security: Strengthens the entire pension system by helping pension plans that are in danger of failing.
Watch Marc Perrone join a roundtable on the American Rescue Plan and essential workers here.