The PRO (Protecting the Right to Organize) Act is historic legislation that would put into action the strongest labor reforms in 80 years. This bill would restore protections that enable workers to join a union and empower them to negotiate for higher wages, better benefits, a secure retirement and a safer workplace.
The PRO Act Overview
With our existing laws, there are no penalties or consequences for employers who illegally retaliate against or fire workers for collective action. The PRO Act would ensure workers can push for the changes they want to see at their jobs without fear of retaliation while also strengthening enforcement measures to hold employers accountable for any violations of workers’ rights.
The PRO Act would improve the lives of hard-working Americans by:
- Holding employers accountable when they violate workers’ rights
- Ensuring that most workers are included under the National Labor Relations Act’s (NLRA’s) protections
- Protecting collective action and removing constraints that prevent workers’ voices from being heard.
- Strengthen the right to negotiate and organize
- Empower workers to report abuses of their rights.
Hard-working Americans need to know that their rights are protected and that elected officials have their back. UFCW is proud to support the PRO Act and urges the Senate to quickly pass this bill and send it to President Biden’s desk for his signature.