Union for 1.3 Million Essential Workers in Retail, Grocery, and Major Frontline Industries Announces 2021 #ShopSafe Campaign for Holiday Shopping Season as COVID Cases Rise Across the Country
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the United Food & Commercial Workers Union, which is America’s largest retail workers union, announced that as Thanksgiving and the 2021 holiday season approaches with the COVID-19 pandemic still impacting countless shoppers and retail workers all over the country, the union is launching a new #ShopSafe campaign with Five Essential Holiday Shopping Safety Tips to keep essential workers and shoppers safe.
The 5 Essential Holiday Shopping Safety Tips that every shopper should keep in mind to keep themselves and their families safe during the 2021 holiday season include:
- Shop Smart– Be prepared with a list of what you want to buy to help keep each shopping trip quick and easy, and to help avoid overcrowding in stores. Shop smart, not long.
- Wear a Mask – It’s important for you and everyone with you to wear a mask to help reduce the risk of COVID exposure, and to remember to wear a mask when close to those working in the store.
- Don’t Overcrowd – Holiday shopping means stores can get busy, and crowding can make it harder to safely social distance. Leave space between yourself and other customers or workers, and if the store is really busy, consider shopping in the early morning or later in evening when stores tend to be less crowded.
- Save Time/Ask for Help – Want to reduce shopping time when looking for what you need? Just ask the nearest worker – they know the stores better than anyone and will give you the shortcuts that will save time.
- Be Kind & Thankful – Please remember that every worker – whether in a grocery store or a retail store – is doing their best, and that it’s not their fault that certain items are out of stock or more expensive than past years. This year – maybe more than most – being kind and thankful will help make a difference in their lives and yours.
Marc, Perrone, the International President of UFCW, America’s largest retail union, released the following statement as part of announcing the union’s #ShopSafe holiday campaign and the five essential shopping tips for this season:
“These essential holiday tips are all about keeping American shoppers and essential workers safe. This holiday season, we can all help keep each other safe and make a difference in the lives of others, especially frontline workers who have already sacrificed so much. This holiday season we’re asking every American, no matter where they call home, to shop safe and give thanks.”
“As part of the holiday campaign, the UFCW will also be encouraging shoppers to take a selfie of themselves following the 5 Holiday Shopping Tips and to thank essential workers to help show their gratitude to all of the men and women helping to keep stores open and safe this holiday season.”
BACKGROUND: UFCW has been the leading national voice for essential workers in retail, grocery, and other frontline industries. As part of its new #ShopSafe campaign, UFCW has released a full range of shareable digital graphics to help spread the word on social media.
UFCW International is the largest private sector union in the United States. UFCW International represents 1.3 million professionals and their families in healthcare, grocery stores, meatpacking, food processing, retail shops and other industries. Our members serve our communities in all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico. Learn more about the UFCW at ufcw.org.