With the help of the AFL-CIO and Union Plus, we’ve compiled a UFCW-made shopping list and some UFCW-made recipes so that you can enjoy whichever Spring holidays you celebrate–whether it be Easter, Passover, or just celebrating the nice weather, while supporting your union brothers and sisters at the same time!
If you’re looking for some sweet treats from the Easter bunny, all of the following candies are made by members of the UFCW family:
- Cadbury Eggs
- Jelly Bellies
- Laffy Taffy
- Necco Wafers
- Mike and Ikes
- Thin Mints
- Tootsie Rolls
For Passover, the following UFCW-made items are just what you need:
Matzo Products, Crackers and Farfel
- Empire Kosher
Wine and Grape Juice
- Arbor Mist (UFCW)
- C.K. Mondavi (UFW, UFCW)
- Turning Leaf (UFCW)
- Minute Maid Grape Juice (UFCW)
- Welch’s Grape Juice (UFCW)
See more union-made wine and beverages here.
And for the chefs in the family, the following recipes are sure to make any family gathering a special one:
Apricot Glazed Ham via Farmland Foods
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (about 5 pounds) Farmland® Boneless Smoked Ham – Old Fashioned Pit Ham
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat oven to 325°F. Place ham and apricot nectar in roasting pan.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Spread preserves mixture over surface of ham. Loosely cover and bake for 1 1/4 hours or until internal temperature reaches 140°F., basting ham with pan juices every 20 minutes.
- Slice ham and place on serving platter. Spoon pan juices over ham.
Make it union: Tyson Ham, Hormel Honey Roasted Ham, Cook’s Ham, Appleton Farms Ham, Black Forest Ham, and Butterball Ham are all made possible by UFCW members.
Roasted Leg of Lamb with Rosemary via AllRecipes.com
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 pounds whole leg of lamb
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, rosemary, ground black pepper, lemon zest and garlic. Mix well and apply to the lamb. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place lamb on a rack in a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and roast for 55 to 60 more minutes for medium rare. The internal temperature should be at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) when taken with a meat thermometer. Let the roast rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
Make it union: Chiapetti Lamb and Fischer Meats Lamb are union-made by UFCW members.
Scalloped Potatoes via CookingChanneltv.com
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups smooth goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, finely sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the goat cheese with the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the chives. Keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices by using a mandoline or a very sharp knife. Rinse and keep in cold water.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions with garlic for about 10 minutes in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain and pat dry the potatoes. In an ovenproof dish, nicely layer the potato slices. Cover with some caramelized onions, and 1/4 of the goat cheese mixture. Repeat the layers and finish with the goat cheese mixture. Season each layer with salt and pepper. Pour the rest of the cream mixture over the potatoes and the butter. Cook in the oven for 1 hour until golden brown.
Make it union: Country Fresh, Blue Bonnet, and Horizon dairy products (butter and heavy cream) are union-made by UFCW members.
Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs via AllRecipes.com
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. To cool more quickly, rinse eggs under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Alternatively, wrap bacon in paper towels and cook in the microwave for about 1 minute per slice. Crumble and set aside.
- Peel the hard-cooked eggs, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove yolks to a small bowl. Mash egg yolks with mayonnaise, crumbled bacon and cheese. Stir in mustard. Fill egg white halves with the yolk mixture and refrigerate until serving.
Make it union: Alta Dena, Horizon Organic, and President’s Choice eggs are union-made by UFCW members.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 6 ounces homemade mini marshmallows, approximately 3 cups
- 1 cup clementine orange segments, approximately 6 clementines
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup drained maraschino cherries
- Place the cream and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip until stiff peaks are formed.
- Add the sour cream and whisk to combine. Add the marshmallows, orange, pineapple, coconut, pecans and cherries and stir to combine. Transfer to a glass serving bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
Make it union: Domino Sugar, as well as Country Fresh, Blue Bonnet, and Horizon dairy products (heavy cream and sour cream), are union-made by UFCW members.