Location: Washington, DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The UFCW is seeking curious, open-minded researchers to use well-researched information to develop and execute comprehensive campaigns and to provide research and analysis that advances the interests of the Union in our industries.
The Research Assistant will be provided a range of assignments and training for researching public and private companies and conducting industry analysis in order to provide information for the development and execution of programs to build the Union and confront corporate power. Assignments and training will consist of rigorous work on active priorities through the Research Assistant Staff Development Program including regular feedback, training, and evaluation to support development in the required core skills of a Research Associate with the expectation of acquisition and demonstration of core skills competency progressing over 12 months. Successful completion of the program will lead to advancement to the Research Associate job classification and pay grade.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
- BA degree from college or university required, or equivalent rigorous relevant research and/or activist experience required. Experience with labor or community action activities preferred.
- Ability to use and learn data and natural language processing tools and software to gather, clean, explore, and analyze customized datasets and code. Training will be provided to supplement basic skills.
- Excellent communication, writing, and computer skills. Must be able to represent the union in various settings.
- Must be able to discern facts, evaluate sources, and understand information systems to fulfill research tasks.
- Ability to create research plans in support of union campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and communicate complex analysis using a wide range of data sets.
- Must have initiative and follow intricate instructions. Is motivated to solve problems and not intimidated or frustrated by detailed and technical tasks.
- Must be able to balance conflicting demands and changing priorities and anticipate future needs.
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities and deadlines.
- Must be able to use discretion, handle a wide range of sensitive situations and recognize when to refer to a higher level.
- Works with meticulous and accurate attention to detail under pressure and deadlines.
- Must be able to work professionally with staff at all levels of the organization.
- Constant curiosity. Knows how to ask questions.
- Maintains an open mind, remains skeptical, and does not jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to confronting and changing power.
- The basic belief that economic inequality is a pernicious problem, and the labor movement is the primary force for making change is deemed a necessary personal characteristic to serve as a foundation for success in the job.
Travel may be required sometimes at the last minute. Some irregular or unpredictable hours are required. Work often is performed with multiple projects occurring simultaneously under deadline. Valid driver’s license is required.
To apply submit cover letter and resume: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/71235497
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.