Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The 1.3-million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking an Occupational Safety and Health Specialist to respond to requests from UFCW local unions in UFCW core industries, meatpacking, poultry, food processing and retail, as well as health care, for assistance on a variety of occupational safety and health issues.
The OSH Specialist conducts safety and health trainings to staff, stewards and members. Organizing, both internal and external, will be a key function. The OSH Specialist will participate in organizer trainings and in organizing campaigns. This position will work on campaigns, as assigned by the Director, in coordination with the Organizing Department. The OSH Specialist will also service as liaison with the International Chemical Workers Union Council (ICWUC) Safety and Health Training Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with UFCW local unions in order to address safety and health issues in all UFCW-represented industries, including food processing, packing and manufacturing, retail food and health care.
- Trains local union stewards on their rights to safe jobs, hazard identification and strategic use of safety and health to strength the union and improve safety and health in the workplace.
- Trains safety committee members on a variety of safety and health topics and the union’s role on JLM safety and health committees.
- Advises and provides technical assistance to local unions on safety and health.
- Assists in organizing campaigns.
- Trains organizers on safety and health.
- Identifies language needs of participants in training and in organizing campaigns. Provide Spanish language training where necessary.
- Works closely with the International Chemical Workers Union Council of the UFCW to coordinate trainings.
- Work requires frequent travel and/or sometimes irregular or unpredictable hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree or greater in public health, occupational safety and health or related field. Minimum of two years’ experience in the field of occupational safety and health. Knowledge of and/or hands-on experience working with unions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Ability to effectively present information to UFCW International and local union officers, staff and members.
- Experience in developing training materials.
- Experience with delivering adult trainings and education.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
- Commitment to, knowledge of and interest in the labor movement.
- Worksite environments may vary according to the travel schedule.
The UFCW provides a very generous benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance provided with ability to purchase supplemental life insurance at favorable rates.
- Retirement Savings Account.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Pension plan.
- Dependent care reimbursement account program.
- Health care reimbursement account program.
- Transportation program benefits.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid short-term sick leave, Extended Sick Leave program, paid parental leave.
- Prepaid Legal Plan (for DC/MD/VA only).
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, three professional references to: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/64599304
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).