Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The Occupational Safety and Health Specialist responds to requests from UFCW local unions in UFCW core industries, meatpacking, poultry, food processing and retail, as well as health care, for assistance on a variety of occupational safety and health issues. The OSH Specialist conducts safety and health trainings to International staff, local union staff, stewards and members. Organizing, both internal and external, will be a key function. The OSH Specialist will participate in organizer trainings and in organizing campaigns. The OSH Specialist will work on campaigns, as assigned by the Director, in coordination with the Organizing Department. The OSH Specialist will also service as liaison with the International Chemical Workers Union Council (ICWUC) Safety and Health Training Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with UFCW local unions to address safety and health issues in all UFCW-represented industries, including food processing, packing and manufacturing, retail food and health care.
- Trains local union stewards on their rights to safe jobs, hazard identification and strategic use of safety and health to strength the union and improve safety and health in the workplace.
- Trains safety committee members on a variety of safety and health topics and the union’s role on JLM safety and health committees.
- Advises and provides technical assistance to local unions on safety and health.
- Assists in organizing campaigns.
- Trains organizers on safety and health.
- Identifies language needs of participants in training and in organizing campaigns. Provide Spanish language training where necessary.
- Works closely with the International Chemical Workers Union Council of the UFCW to coordinate trainings.
- Work requires frequent travel and/or sometimes irregular or unpredictable hours.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree or greater in public health, occupational safety and health or related field. Minimum of two years’ experience in the field of occupational safety and health. Knowledge of and/or hands-on experience working with unions.
Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Ability to effectively present information to UFCW International and local union officers, staff and members.
Other Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Required:
- Experience in developing training materials.
- Experience with delivering adult trainings and education.
- Fluency in Spanish is helpful.
Must be able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented office environment. Willingness to perform a wide range of administrative and general support duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature.
Commitment to, knowledge of and interest in the labor movement.
The work is performed in a normal office environment. Worksite environments may vary according to the travel schedule.
The position involves, but is not limited to, written and oral communication skills, use of computer keyboard close vision, sitting for long periods, stooping, bending and reaching.
Salary commensurate with experience. The UFCW provides a very generous benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance provided with ability to purchase supplemental life insurance at favorable rates.
- Retirement Savings Account.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Pension plan.
- Dependent care reimbursement account program.
- Health care reimbursement account program.
- Transportation program benefits.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid short-term sick leave, Extended Sick Leave program, paid parental leave.
- Prepaid Legal Plan (for DC/MD/VA only).
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume to: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/76690414.
*Skills assessments with passing scores are required as part of our pre-employment process.*
We believe our success rests on recruiting and retaining a diverse staff. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to applicable state and federal laws.