Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The National Press Secretary assists the Communications Department in overseeing press strategies for the organization. This position will develop, plan and implement media outreach plans that support the UFCW International Union in its organizing, bargaining, and political efforts. The position will also provide various stakeholders, including local unions and UFCW members, with support on media relations, media training, and other activities as assigned by the Director. This position will guide the following for the International Union:
- Brand awareness and reputation in news media.
- Overseeing work of assigned staff to effectively execute press strategies.
- Working with UFCW local unions on messaging and media relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and executes national, regional and local press plans and strategies to support UFCW’s agenda.
- Aggressively builds relationships with regional and national media contacts to shape the way UFCW’s message and branding reaches UFCW members, opinion leaders, allies, and non-union workers in UFCW core industries.
- Helps identify, screen, and train UFCW members and non-union workers in media skills.
- Develops, writes, and edits accurate and timely media relations materials, including press releases, press advisories, op-eds, and other material.
- Develops and executes talking points, speeches, letters, and articles for the International President and other Executive officers as assigned by the Director.
- Provides communications support for the International President and other Executive officers at meetings, conferences, conventions, or public events.
- Develops relationships with staff at all levels of the organization. Interfaces professionally with external groups that have mutual interest.
- Contributes to staff strategy meetings and stays current on developments in UFCW industries and campaigns.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline; equivalent experience may be substituted with a minimum of 6 years of experience in media relations and press strategy. On-the-record experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of how to work with digital, print and television media. Established relationships with reporters, bookers, and producers.
- Strong writer who can quickly absorb complex issues and write about them in a concise, compelling way.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage work and supervise others.
- Must be a team player, with a positive attitude, who enjoys collaborative work environments.
- Must be able to prioritize projects and activities in order to meet deadlines and can report effectively on established goals and metrics.
- Self-starter, good at identifying opportunities to improve their work and their organizations’ reach.
- Ability to work with people of different backgrounds, culture, and literacy.
- Must be able to exercise discretion involving the interrelationships among the International, regional offices, local unions and members.
- An understanding of labor or UFCW industries is highly desirable.
- Work can and likely will require frequent last-minute travel and/or frequent irregular or unpredictable hours.
Salary commensurate with experience. The UFCW provides a very generous benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance provided with ability to purchase supplemental life insurance at favorable rates.
- Retirement Savings Account.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Pension plan.
- Dependent care reimbursement account program.
- Health care reimbursement account program.
- Transportation program benefits.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid short-term sick leave, Extended Sick Leave program, paid parental leave.
- Prepaid Legal Plan (for DC/MD/VA only).
To apply submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/63474091.
We believe our success rests on recruiting and retaining a diverse staff. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Woman and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.