Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The 1.3-million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Meetings and Events Manager primarily responsible for planning preparations and supporting on-site management for meetings, conferences, and events. Responsibilities include preparing and finalizing logistical details, including budgets and resource allocations, to develop Requests for Proposals (RFPs) aimed at contracting with hotels and other meeting venues, site selection recommendations, meeting and function space design, housing, food and beverage coordination, and associated contract negotiations. This position requires the ability to maintain strict confidentiality with highly sensitive information.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates pre-meeting and event data collection to develop RFPs and budgets to solicit bids from hotels, other meeting venues or third parties for review and approval.
- Solicits, manages, and analyzes the RFP process to further the negotiations and recommendations processes required to secure meeting and function space, meeting audio and video presentation equipment, housing and various other meeting related details. At times may be liaison to outside vendor who will finalize details.
- Solicits, manages, analyzes and finalizes the food and beverage requirements for UFCW sponsored meetings, conferences, and events within budgetary guidelines.
- Coordinates Legal Department review of all meetings-related contracts prepares proposed contract language and amendments, and negotiates with vendors, when applicable, to ensure compliance with UFCW policies, procedures, and applicable federal, state, or local laws.
- Assists in coordinating meeting/event logistics that includes selecting hotels and venues, developing meeting room specifications and designs; arranging meeting presentation equipment and technical support; and developing and overseeing menu selections and other food and beverage requirements. At times may be liaison to outside vendor who will finalize details.
- Assists in creating and managing Registration Websites for UFCW sponsored meetings, conferences, and events that allows invitees to register online via Cvent.
- Assists with the UFCW Events App by creating and managing personalized Apps for UFCW sponsored meetings, conferences, and events.
- Assists with virtual meetings and webinars held via Zoom. This includes having hosting or co-hosting rights during meetings, conference, or events; holding rehearsals for speakers and panelist; running presentations live for speakers and panelist; and creating production schedules to ensure the program is on-time.
- Coordinates with Hotel Representatives to solicit bids from hotels and/or other meeting venues.
- Assists in implementing, managing budgets and suggests other cost-management strategies for meetings and events. Manages hotel rooming lists (maintaining confidentiality) to monitor room utilization aimed at preventing or minimizing potential attrition fees, and coordinates payment of the master accounts with office staff to ensure account reconciliations are accurate and payments are processed in a timely manner.
- Provides on-site supervision and support during meetings, conferences and events. Conducts pre and post conference meetings with hotel or venue contacts, solves problems, follows through with planned details, and arranges for other meeting services upon request. Recommends gratuities distributions and oversees payments.
- Administrator of the Meeting Management Software System (Cvent).
- Administrator of the Meeting App System (CrowdCompass)
- Provides lead logistical coordination with other departments on conference and meetings. Overseas and reviews hotel contracts from other departments while coordinating with Legal Department to ensure compliance with UFCW policies, procedures, and applicable federal, state, or local laws.
- Related Bachelor’s Degree or three years of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and executing large conferences and events (1,000+ attendees) and small conferences and meetings. Experience negotiating hotel and vendor agreements. Commitment to immediately working towards a CMP designation is required. Once certified incumbent must remain certified while in the position. Knowledge of Cvent, CrowdCompass, and Zoom or similar software is required.
- Highly proficient in using Excel. Proficient in Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from individuals or groups with tact and diplomacy. Strict confidentiality involving matters of high sensitivity must be maintained.
- Ability to develop partnerships with key internal and external event stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is a must.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills are required.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, and develop and maintain relationships with all levels of UFCW International and local union officers, International headquarters and field staff, and independent contractors.
- Project management skills are a necessity. Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and work well under pressure given time-sensitive deadlines and other competing factors.
- Requires pleasant demeanor, strong interpersonal skills, and patience. Must be a self-starter and willing to take initiative to contribute to a team effort by demonstrating a positive attitude, personal integrity, and leadership to execute meetings and events successfully and within organizational and budget guidelines.
- Work requires frequent travel and/or frequent irregular or unpredictable hours. Must be able to engage in travel throughout the United States and Canada.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
To apply submit cover letter, resume and references to: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/66794775
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
We believe our success rests on recruiting and retaining a diverse staff. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.