Location: Washington, DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The 1.3-million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Media Relations Specialist to contribute to the development and implementation of strategic communications plans that support UFCW’s mission and to enhance UFCW’s identity through news exposure. This role will regularly interface with the press, other UFCW International departments, Local Unions, external groups, and UFCW members and non-union workers. This is a professional position that involves the support of field activities, that can involve travel with little notice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the pitching of stories to national and regional papers, magazines, long-form media outlets, T.V. and radio stations, and online outlets.
- Takes incoming inquiries from reporters and work with press team to coordinate responses.
- Schedules and staffs interviews with the press for union leaders and members.
- Helps distribute statements and materials to media and contributes to the placement of op-eds and LTE’S.
- Maintains UFCW’s press, clips, and press inquiries lists for tracking purposes.
- Provides communications support for the development and implementation of strategic communications plans, projects, and messaging programs on behalf of the Communications Department in support of UFCW’s various campaigns.
- Identifies, screens, and trains UFCW members and non-union workers in public speaking and communications skills for media opportunities and assigned campaigns.
- Develops relationships and interfaces professionally with staff at Local Unions across the country and staff at all levels of UFCW International. Interfaces professionally with external groups that have mutual interest.
- Develops, edits, and proofreads internal and external communications materials including talking points, emails, press releases, op-eds, fact sheets, flyers, blog posts, text messages, social media posts, website copy, and other materials needed for assigned bargaining, organizing, and political campaigns.
- Helps facilitate the coordination and on-the-ground execution of rallies, press conferences, and other public events for assigned campaigns.
- Provides communications support for UFCW conferences, International Executive Board Meetings, and other work-sponsored and related events, including, but not limited to: writing speeches and remarks, developing visual materials and presentations as directed, staffing rehearsals, and providing logistical support.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or Marketing preferred. Experience working with media and has relationships with producers and reporters. Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Spanish language proficiency is preferred.
- Ability to write, prepare, and edit in a creative and clear manner under limited supervision. Experience with social media and integrated digital communications. Good oral communication skills.
- Capitol Hill experience and/or work with a political campaign or national advocacy organization is a plus, but not required.
- Must exercise discretion in interactions among the International, Local Unions, and members.
- Must possess the judgement and ability to self-start on projects and complete them within deadline under minimal supervision.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
To apply submit cover letter, resume and references to: https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/job/detail/68338915/Media-Relations-Specialist.
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
We believe our success rests on recruiting and retaining a diverse staff. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.