Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The 1.3 million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Digital Organizer to build relationships with potential members online and on the ground through daily communications and intentional development of activists into workplace leaders.
Our growing digital organizing team captures and amplifies the stories of retail workers nationwide and defines the UFCW brand to non-union audiences. The team works collaboratively and creatively to craft compelling content that informs, inspires, engages, and pushes people to take action to make retail jobs better.
The team seeks an outgoing Digital Organizer to accelerate UFCW’s organizing communications with workers online and in the field. This is an opportunity for an experienced professional to take the lead in building our union’s digital organizing program and further developing strategy to reach and develop relationships with potential members. The ideal candidate for this role will bridge traditional organizing with digital savvy to reach new audiences in innovative ways.
This person will work closely with the content team and field organizers to build and manage relationships with potential members, both online and offline. They will develop communities on priority social media platforms, help manage UFCW’s social media marketing and advocacy campaigns, and increase the union’s digital engagement and influence. The Digital Organizer will also play a key role in building the union’s brand by developing themes and content that convey the stories of our union and its members. Compassion for others and a commitment to supporting working people struggling to have a better life are musts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Grow and engage with digital communities: Grow UFCW’s digital audiences across platforms by posting and talking with workers daily, as well as planning and executing paid advertising campaigns to increase visibility and engagement for organizing campaigns. Track and report regularly on key performance metrics to demonstrate improved engagement and growth.
- Identify and develop workplace leaders: Find workplace leaders and activists online and further develop those relationships through phone, Skype, and in-person communications to be folded into field organizing programs.
- Track industry best practices: Serve as the in-house expert on social media trends and best practices, including identifying priority platforms and advising on strategies for improving UFCW’s reach, relevance, and influence across those platforms.
- Demonstrated experience using social media in advocacy campaigns and to increase an organization’s reach, relevance, and influence.
- Fluency in social media performance metrics and Facebook Insights and Ads Manager, as well as exposure to social media management tools.
- Comfort with SMS, Hustle, Facebook messenger, Instagram, and other social media for digital communications.
- Effective interpersonal communicator adept at building relationships online and offline.
- Ability to problem-solve and make decisions in real time in a fast-pace environment.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage workflow independently as well as collaboratively.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Extensive travel, as well as some evening and weekend work will be required. Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a car.
- Experience working in a retail environment.
- Instinct for compelling social media photo/video content.
- Fluency in a second language (ideally Spanish).
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/68489646.
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.