Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
The UFCW Data & Analytics Department is seeking an experienced, innovative Data Engineer (Infrastructure) to design and build the data systems needed to support UFCW’s mission. The position calls for expertise in maintaining scalable database infrastructure. Collaborating with UFCW’s team of developers and strategists, this individual will be responsible for enabling UFCW’s data systems to be used across the organization for enhanced member communication, membership recruitment, and political campaigns.
The position will be in our Washington, DC office. The Data Engineer will report to the Director of the Data & Analytics Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs, implements, tests, and maintains internal systems and automated pipelines, so that membership, voter, and other person level data can be leveraged inside and out of our central database.
- Produces scalable, replicable code, and engineering solutions that help automate processes and workflows.
- Works with other UFCW departments and vendors to integrate the flow of information across organizing, communication, and political tools used by UFCW.
- Collaborates with leadership and staff to establish standards for data collection, acquisition, preservation, analytics, and hygiene.
- Builds reports and data visualizations, using data from UFCW’s central database and other sources, to better assist staff and affiliates in developing strategies, data processes, and reporting to accurately measure progress toward goals.
- Provides data, targeting, technological guidance, and support for organizing, bargaining, legislative and/or electoral campaigns.
- Works directly with and supervises staff in executing the work for the department to ensure they are reaching program goals.
- This is not an exhausted list of responsibilities; candidate will be responsible for other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- General data manipulation skills: pull data, process and clean it, merge different data sets together, and re-format it for use across other systems.
- Proficiency with Python or R, especially for the purpose of data manipulation and analysis.
- Strong command of SQL and relational databases. This includes extracting, transforming, and loading data.
- Ability to use APIs to push and pull data from different systems and platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to write code that is clear, detailed/well-documented, and stored in a version control system like Git.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new techniques and troubleshoot code on your own or using online sources.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a self-starter, but also be able to work effectively in teams in either a lead or support role.
- Effective time management skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work long and extended hours when needed.
Additional Skills (Preferred, Not Required)
- Familiarity with online and electoral tools and datasets such as Catalist, TargetSmart, VAN, LAN, or Every Action.
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure services like AWS and Google Cloud.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Periscope, PowerBI, or Google Data Studio.
BA or BS in related field or equivalent work experience.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, three professional references to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/53366748
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).