Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
The 1.3-million-member United Food Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Confidential Secretary to perform administrative duties, secretarial support, and business work of a highly confidential and sensitive nature for the Director of Civil Rights and Community Action Department and Assistant and Special Counsel to the President.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a broad range of secretarial duties including but not limited to, typing, submitting, reviewing, and approving expenses using SAP Concur expense management system, check requests, filing, scanning, answering telephones, composing and preparing correspondence, reporting attendance, itineraries, and LM-2 reports, scheduling appointments, maintaining calendars, and arranging travel schedules.
- Oversees/handles all daily parking requests and maintains a daily spreadsheet of all assigned parking spaces.
- Assist in the coordination of meetings and conferences for department.
- Reads, screens, and organizes incoming reports, correspondence, and electronic mail, making preliminary assessments of documents.
- Maintains the department database of nationwide partner organizations and creates new databases as needed.
- Arranges travel and accommodations; prepares itineraries; prepares, compiles and maintains travel receipts and records for the department.
- Maintains daily telephone or email contact with coalition building organizations, UFCW field and other staff, as needed by the department.
- Prepares the annual Civil Rights and Community Action Department budget for contributions and donations and inputs all expenditures as they are disbursed throughout the year.
- Maintains department wide calendar that includes meetings, conferences and events of the UFCW constituency groups and UFCW clinic programs for citizenship and restoration of rights.
- Ensures that any sponsorship ad requests are submitted in a timely manner to partner organizations and tracks attendance for external events.
- Prepares documents and/or ships material for the department’s programs and maintains supply inventory specific to such programs. Responsible for inputting scheduling requests for clinics and maintaining calendar.
- Maintains the filing system (electronic and physical) and prepares records for retention, in compliance with the records retention schedule. Coordinates record activity with the Records Manager.
- Provides support to the Assistant and Special Counsel to the President.
- Processes requests for new bylaws from local unions, including preparing new bylaws, approval letters, and related correspondence. Update bylaws as needed under the direction of Assistant and Special Counsel to the President.
- Processes correspondence related to dissolutions, including recommendations to Executive Committee. Prepares and distributes dissolution report each month.
- Assists the Assistant and Special Counsel to the President in aspects of chartering new local unions and intermediate bodies, including approval memos, related correspondence and overseeing and coordinating physical issuance of charters.
- Verifies local union officer termination dates and resolves any discrepancies.
- Sends out congratulatory letters to new and re-elected officers and informs appropriate departments of changes in officers and addresses.
- Processes initiation fee waiver requests from region directors.
- Serves as key operator for the photocopier and maintains office supplies for the President’s Office, Legislative and Political Action, and Civil Rights and Community Action Departments.
- Provides back-up to Executive Secretary to the Assistant and Special Counsel to the President and supports Executive Secretaries in the President’s Office as needed.
- Sends out correspondence to officers and staff to fill tables at events/receptions purchased by the International.
- Performs administrative and general support duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature while exercising a high degree of discretion and initiative.
- Must be punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance requirements and work deadlines.
- Extended hours are required.
- Protects the UFCW International operations by maintaining confidentiality of any data or materials of a sensitive of confidential nature.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum five years previous secretarial experience required, preferably supporting a senior‐level position. Must have thorough understanding of UFCW history, structure, policies, procedures, and field operations. Must also have fundamental understanding of the UFCW Constitution provisions.
- Shorthand or fast-notes ability required. Must be able to transcribe and format documents. Ability to professionally compose correspondence, spell correctly, use proper grammar and punctuation.
- Input ability of 65 words per minute.
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and database systems to create and properly finalize documents related to duties and responsibilities is required.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to comprehend rules, policies, and procedures, and the ability to communicate them to others. Must be able to answer multiple telephone lines efficiently and courteously.
- Demonstrated ability to perform administrative and general support duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature while exercising a high degree of discretion and initiative.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy. Must be able to work under pressure.
- Detail oriented, ability to prioritize conflicting needs, handle matters expeditiously, proactively and follows through on multiple tasks and projects to successful completion is essential.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work independently with little or no instruction or supervision.
- Must show a pleasant demeanor and be innovative and participatory rather than reactive. Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
- Must have advance analytical skills.
- Travel of several weeks’ duration required annually, with the possibility of additional, shorter trips as needed. Convention‐related activities significantly increase workload and require increased travel during Convention periods. Must meet attendance standards and work extended hours on a regular basis. Must be able to handle multiple priorities with frequently overlapping deadlines and interruptions.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, three professional references to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/59842037
*Skills assessments with passing scores are required as part of our pre-employment process.*
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).