Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
The United Food and Commercial Workers, a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Chief Auditor. The UFCW is leading the fight to build worker power in our workplaces, communities and the political and legislative arenas to ensure that workers and their family’s participant fully in the rewards of the economy they help sustain.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs financial, operational and forensic audits of chartered bodies as directed.
- Assists locals in budgeting, compliance issues, preparation and filing of federal reports (LM’s and 990’s).
- Assists with trusteeships of local unions.
- Oversees and administers the Fidelity Bonding of all UFCW chartered bodies
- Compiles and submits bonding claims.
- Monitors restitution payments received related to the claims
- Presents educational seminars to locals detailing reporting obligations to government agencies and to the International and other fiduciary requirements of local union officers as required under Federal Law and the UFCW Constitution.
- Responds to questions from locals regarding reporting and operational issues.
- Supervises the activities of the Auditing Department staff.
- Responsible for reviewing and submitting annual list of affiliated organizations to the IRS.
- Frequent overnight and/or weekend travel may be required sometimes with little advance notice.
Other Internal Accounting Responsibilities:
- Prepares annual Fair Share (Beck) computation.
- Prepares annual “Administrative Expense Allocation” computation for the reimbursement of administrative costs to the International from the UFCW Pension Plan for Employees.
- Analyzes moving/commuting payments to employees and prepare schedules to determine the taxable/non-taxable treatment of the payments for W-2 purposes.
- Reviews monthly investment journal entries for the activity in the UFCW Pension Plan for Employees, the International Savings & Retirement Plans.
- Prepares various schedules for the annual audit of the UFCW Benefit Plans.
- Assists with annual International audit, annual inventory of supplies, special projects and reports and other duties as required.
- Backup the Comptroller and Assistant Comptroller in their absence or as needed.
Federal and State Political Reporting
- Reviews all UFCW Active Ballot Club (ABC), UFCW ABC Educational/Political Fund and Working Families Advocacy Project campaign reports (as prepared by Lebin Yates Consulting) and Lobbying Reports prior to filing.
- Oversees the various monthly reconciliations related to the activity recorded in Quorum (Government Relations and PAC Software).
- Reviews and approves for the Secretary-Treasurer’s Office, check requests from the Legislative and Political Action Department to be paid out of the ABC accounts. Communicates with outside legal counsel if concerns arise over the method or source of payment.
- Responds to questions from the Legislative and Political Action staff concerning Quorum activity and implement data corrections if necessary.
- Responds to inquiries from the FEC or state political campaign reporting agencies as they arise. Coordinates written responses with Lebin Yates Consulting or outside legal if required.
- Attends annual FEC seminar/webinar.
- Bachelor degree with a major in Accounting, CPA and/or MBA with four years of experience which includes at least two years of auditing experience.
- Supervisory experience is required.
- Must have a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and generally accepted auditing standards.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are a must along with strong oral and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word. Strong spreadsheet experience.
- Knowledge of campaign finance and familiarity with Quorom or other PAC Software as well as Microsoft Dynamics SL Accounting Software is desirable.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively with elected union officers and staff about sensitive and/or complex financial matters.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of audits and financial information.
- Must be able to engage in frequent overnight travel throughout the U.S. and Canada. Long and sometimes irregular hours, including nights and weekends is also necessary. Ability to constantly juggle many priorities while preparing to meet regulatory and other deadlines.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
To apply send cover letter and resume: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/68388787
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.