Location: Washington, DC
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
The Campaign Communications Specialist aids with communications plans, projects and programs that support UFCW’s organizing, bargaining, and political campaigns. This role will be tasked with maintaining UFCW’s brand, voice and message in written and digital material created for different campaigns. This role will regularly interface with other departments, Local Unions, and UFCW members and non-union workers. Compassion for others and a commitment to working people who want to build a better life are musts.
This position reports to the Assistant Communications Director, Campaigns and will work in our DC office. Work requires frequent travel and/or irregular or unpredictable hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Drafts member and public facing communications material including talking points, emails, press releases, fact sheets, flyer text, blog posts, and other materials needed for assigned bargaining, organizing, and political campaigns.
- Assists in managing text message, email, and other digital communications programs as needed for assigned campaigns.
- Assists in the coordination and on-the-ground execution of rallies, press conferences, and other public events for assigned campaigns.
- Trains members and non-union workers in public speaking for assigned campaigns.
- Develops relationships and interface professionally with staff at Local Unions across the country.
- Provides communications staff support at meetings, conferences, conventions, and other public events.
- Must exercise discretion in interactions among the International, region offices, Local Unions, and members.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant experience in writing and editing.
- Understands digital means of communications (websites, texting, social media, email, video, etc.) and eager to adapt to the latest trends.
- Good listening and interpersonal skills. Must be able to establish and maintain relationships with people inside and outside the organization.
- Must be a team player, with a positive attitude, who enjoys collaborative work environments.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects and quick deadlines at once.
- Is committed to learning and enjoys personal professional development. Self-starter, good at identifying opportunities to improve their work and their organizations’ reach.
- Experience using email and text message programs.
- Basic knowledge of print and digital design.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of photography and videography.
- Experience in campaign communications and/or field work.
Salary commensurate with experience. The UFCW provides a very generous benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance provided with ability to purchase supplemental life insurance at favorable rates.
- Retirement Savings Account.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Pension plan.
- Dependent care reimbursement account program.
- Health care reimbursement account program.
- Transportation program benefits.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid short-term sick leave, Extended Sick Leave program, paid parental leave.
- Prepaid Legal Plan (for DC/MD/VA only).
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/60192191
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).