Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
The UFCW is a dynamic union with members in all 50 states, U.S. territories and Canada. Our members work in grocery stores, non-food retail, food processing, meat processing, distillery and cannabis industries, as well as have footprint in state and local government, healthcare, light manufacturing and warehouses. Our members face fights for workplace safety, healthcare, higher wages, fair scheduling and paid sick days/paid leave. We work aggressively to advocate for our members’ benefit at the local, state and national levels.
The Assistant Political Director builds, implements and maintains systems of accountability for the UFCW’s member-to-member electoral program. They also assist with implementation of the federal and state legislative grassroots and grasstops engagement of local union leaders and members, while creating a comprehensive tracking system for these activities. The Assistant Political Director works directly with and supervises UFCW’s regional political coordinators to ensure they are reaching program goals.
The Assistant Political Director designs and implements robust political, electoral and legislative training curriculum that can be customized by local, state or region. This position directs regional political coordinators on customizing and implementing training. The Assistant Political Director manages the UFCW’s online activist engagement program, which mobilizes members on social media via email, phone and texting. The Assistant Political Director coordinates and leverages our resources to maximize our grassroots fundraising in our Active Ballot Club – ABC PAC and our online giving. The Assistant Political Director assesses candidate viability, priority races, and meets with potential candidates to ensure they understand UFCW’s issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works under the direction of the Director to ensure that the UFCW has a robust, goal driven, year-round engagement effort with our local unions to achieve voter registration, voter engagement, grassroots and grasstops legislative organizing goals that ultimately lead to electoral and legislative wins for UFCW’s members.
- Works under the direction of the Director to ensure that the UFCW has a robust, goal driven, year-round nationwide fundraising effort in the United States in collaboration with UFCW local unions. This encompasses both in-person grassroots fundraising as well as an online giving program. As part of this work, works collaboratively with local unions and gives direction to regional political coordinators on executing successful fundraising programs.
- Creates and develops a regular reporting mechanism that is utilized to measure progress and create healthy competition between local unions and staff on fundraising success. Responsible for identifying issues in receiving regular checks and data from the local unions regarding giving and working with the Office Manager and the Data and Analytics Department Director to streamline and fix issues in a real time manner.
- Supervises UFCW’s regional political coordinators in executing the above-mentioned programs.
- Drives the activist engagement strategy at the UFCW and ensures that the regional political coordinators successfully execute and grow this program.
- Keeps up to date on the latest tactics and technology used for activist engagement.
- Develops and maintains state and local specific training materials and coaches the local union political staff person or the regional political coordinator to successfully run trainings, voter registration drives, member issue education work, electoral and legislative campaigns as well as train member organizers on door knocking, phone banking, texting, worksite conversations, and other voter contact tactics. Materials must be customized to specific audiences like union staff, stewards and rank and file members.
- Reviews materials from political coordinators, giving constructive feedback and making sure errors are caught and fixed.
- Works with the Director to ensure we have a thorough endorsement process at the federal, state and local levels that involves viability assessments of races and candidates, candidate interviews, candidate questionnaires and where possible, member engagement in the endorsement process.
- Works collaboratively with the Director to build out political mail and digital campaigns to mobilize UFCW members to vote. Responsible for building out these types of campaigns targeting the general public from time to time.
- Organizes both in-person and online events with candidates, such as candidate forums, tele-town halls and Facebook live events.
- Works collaboratively with the Director, political coordinators, and the Communications Department on designing and implementing online video programs to engage members on issues and also incentivize online giving.
- Works closely with local unions on priorities including low dollar fundraising, running member-to-member electoral and legislative campaigns, engaging in federal grassroots and grasstops legislative campaigns and other priorities as assigned.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum of eight to ten years’ experience required, ideally in a labor organization with organizing or other relevant experience in a community or political organization. Small dollar fundraising experience a plus.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and ability to use all functions in Microsoft Excel. Must be able to put together comprehensive reports in Excel and written reports without errors or typos. Experience using online databases like NGP-VAN. Ability to review documents like mail and digital content for messaging and ensure that the content is factual.
Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Must have the ability to work with and show leadership with a team of people to reach programmatic goals. Must have the ability to work with discretion, handle sensitive situations and recognize when to refer to a higher level. Must have the ability to work with people from different aspects of the political work, Presidential candidates and staff, local union presidents and staff, as well as rank and file members. Demonstrated strong technical, policy, analytical and strategic abilities and skills.
Must have an understanding of FEC laws and regulations concerning PAC and their interactions with state election and financial disclosure laws. Must be able to quickly learn their interaction with labor organizations.
Must have an understanding of Federal Campaign Finance and experience researching state and local campaign finance laws.
Must have the ability to work independently, as well as develop relationships and make independent judgments, when working with local unions. Must have initiative.
Must be well organized and have experience setting up systems to hold individuals and organizations accountable for programmatic goals.
Must take initiative to identify and learn new programmatic technologies.
Demonstrated understanding of the labor movement and culture.
Commitment and dedication to the UFCW’s mission to fighting for our members. Must be able to work well under pressure. Must be able to handle multiple priorities and work projects for completion in a timely manner. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. Work requires long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends. Extensive travel required across the U.S. in both planes and cars. Ability to perform long-term assignments outside of DC for weeks or months at a time.
BA or BS in related field or equivalent work experience.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
To apply submit cover letter, resume and references to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/54420427
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).