Location: Akron, OH
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
UFCW is seeking an attorney with 3 or more years of experience in labor and employment law to work as an assistant general counsel in its legal department. The attorney would be assigned to and would work out of ICWUC’s Akron, Ohio office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Practice before the NLRB, DOL and EEOC, and other federal or state agencies;
- Advising labor organizations on internal union matters, including personnel matters;
- Litigating civil actions on behalf of labor organizations in federal or state courts, including claims arising under the NLRA, LMRA, LMRDA, immigration, First Amendment, defamation, FLSA, Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA and other employment laws;
- Advising local unions on and handling Arbitration cases.
- Advising union officers and staff on a wide range of matters, including organizing campaigns (both traditional and nontraditional), defamation, corporate governance, collective bargaining, contract language, strikes, immigration, employment discrimination, internal union issues and, personnel matters.
- Representing the ICWUC and its affiliated local unions in proceedings before federal or state agencies and courts.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants should have excellent writing, analytical, advocacy, research and interpersonal skills.
- The successful candidate must have or obtain Ohio bar membership.
- Assisting and managing outside counsel.
- Speaking at union conferences and meetings.
- Facilitating training for union officers, staff and members.
- Travel is required.
Additional Skills (Preferred, Not Required)
- Some Public Sector knowledge would be beneficial.
- Experience in advising local unions in collective bargaining proposals and drafting collective bargaining language is a plus.
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
- Strong academic background is preferred.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
To apply submit cover letter, resume, writing sample and references to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/58128787
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).