Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union is one of the largest private sector labor unions in the United States and Canada. Our 1.3 million members are primarily employed in grocery stores; food processing and packing plants; department and drug stores; and distillery and chemical industries. (www.ufcw.org). The International Chemical Workers Union Council is an intermediate body of the UFCW with affiliated locals whose members are employed in the chemical, mining, manufacturing, and other industries.
The Assistant Director provides support to the Director to carry out the safety and health operations of the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) office. The OSH office collaborates with UFCW Departments and Divisions to integrate workplace safety and health into the work they do with an emphasis on UFCW-growth related activities. The OSH office works with OSHA and other relevant outside agencies, as well as other labor unions, worker centers and coalitions, to advocate for UFCW worker safety and health. The OSH office provides training, education, and technical assistance for International Union staff and local union officers, staff, stewards and member activists.
- Provides technical and strategic assistance to the Food Processing, Packing and Manufacturing Department (FPPM), Retail, Organizing and other Departments and Divisions and to local unions to address safety and health issues in these industries.
- Conducts on-site audits and workplace evaluations.
- Assists in organizing campaigns in all sectors.
- Represents the UFCW in meetings with Federal and State agencies, including OSHA, on occupational safety and health regulatory and enforcement activities.
- Assists the Director of OSH office in meetings with other labor unions and outside constituency/worker advocacy groups.
- Plans and conducts training and education programs for all UFCW Departments and in all UFCW-represented industries, including FPPM, retail food, and warehousing.
- Develops educational materials for use in training and education programs, including materials on safety and health topics.
- Address language equity issues, including identifying language needs of local unions and members as well as workers who are not UFCW members, but work in UFCW-represented industry sectors, to disseminate training, education, and educational materials in multiple languages.
- Plans and helps manage a train-the-trainer program to train local union workers/trainers who can become leaders and activists in their local unions.
Qualifications and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in related field and minimum of five years’ safety and health education training experience required. Knowledge of and at least five years’ experience working with labor unions and other constituency/worker advocacy groups.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations and policies related to occupational safety and health.
- Experience working with relevant government agencies such as OSHA, NIOSH, EPA and the U.S. Chemical Safety Board.
- A knowledge of computer concepts and computer functionality, and at least two years’ work experience utilizing word processing software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively present information to UFCW International and local union officers, staff, and members.
- Demonstrated strong technical, policy, analytical and strategic abilities and skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently, as well as develop relationships and make independent judgments, when working with both local unions and outside constituency groups.
- Experience in curriculum and materials development.
- Experience in developing and delivering new methods of training including remote/web-based training.
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable, but not required.
- Commitment to, knowledge of and interest in the labor movement.
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities and work projects for completion in a timely manner.
- Work requires frequent travel and/or frequent irregular or unpredictable hours.
The UFCW provides a very generous benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage.
- Life insurance provided with ability to purchase supplemental life insurance at favorable rates.
- Retirement Savings Account.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Pension plan.
- Dependent care reimbursement account program.
- Health care reimbursement account program.
- Transportation program benefits.
- Three weeks of paid vacation, 12 days of paid short-term sick leave, Extended Sick Leave program, paid parental leave.
- Prepaid Legal Plan (for DC/MD/VA only).
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, three professional references to: http://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/64598607
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).