Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking an Assistant Director to oversee, develop, and implement research in support of major core industry campaigns and assist the Union leadership in planning and executing organizing and bargaining programs in close coordination with the Department Director. The Assistant Director will also oversee training and development of strategic campaign researchers and others within the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the development and presentation for various audiences of in-depth, ongoing research on public and private companies focused on gathering and analyzing large amounts of information using a wide array of sources.
- Oversees the analysis, development, and implementation of information-based campaigns and related data tools in coordination with campaign leadership and the Department Director.
- Leads and assists research staff in their duties. Works within the department and with other departments and stakeholders to provide training in research and campaign skills to varied audiences to support the work of the Union. Manages training and staff development within the department.
- Oversees all aspects of the department’s work, including working closely with staff on meticulously writing, proofreading, publishing, and distributing highly accurate information in close coordination with the Department Director.
- Deals in facts with rigorous accuracy at all times.
- Supports the Department Director in overseeing all aspects of the department’s research and information-management functions, including developing plans and managing competing priorities and tight timelines.
- Monitors, coordinates, and processes completion of department assignments and projects.
- Manages the planning and development of the department’s infrastructure and initiatives, in close coordination with the Department Director.
- Communicates clearly and effectively. Develops and maintains good working relationships with organizers, Local and regional staff, elected leaders, external allies and other stakeholders.
- Supports the priorities of the Union, including political work as needed, in collaboration with varied stakeholders.
- Uses the highest integrity and discretion.
- Travel and extended hours are required.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in history, social science, or equivalent work experience required. A minimum of eight years professional work experience as a campaigner with significant experience leading labor union research campaign work, or the equivalent professional work experience in information-based labor, community action, or public-interest work. Company analysis and financial literacy is required.
- Professional work experience with labor unions is preferred. Substantial knowledge of the UFCW, its structure, and operations is highly desirable.
- Must have mastery of how to discern facts, evaluate sources and understand information systems, in order to conduct and communicate complex analysis using a wide range of data sets in support of union campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research skills in order to train and develop leaders from a wide variety of backgrounds, often within an intricate, detailed, or technical framework.
- Must have mastery of spreadsheet and database software to organize and analyze information.
- Must have experience in and understanding of online and offline data platforms, including the methods, structure, and concepts for gathering and managing structured and unstructured data.
- Excellent communication, writing and computer skills, and the ability to train others in the same.
- Must be able to represent the union in various settings.
- Good interpersonal skills. Must exercise the utmost discretion.
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities, organize time efficiently and work accurately under exacting deadlines. Extensive experience with research techniques and campaign skills including in-person and online.
- Project management skills from development through final execution are required.
- Attention to detail. Works meticulously and accurately under pressure and deadlines.
- Must be able to work professionally with staff at all levels of the organization.
- The belief that economic inequality is a pernicious problem, and the labor movement is the primary force for making change is deemed a necessary personal characteristic to serve as a foundation for success in the job.
- Constant curiosity. Knows how to ask questions.
- Maintains an open mind, remains skeptical, and does not jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to confronting and changing power.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, three professional references to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/59511165
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply. UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).