Location: Washington DC Headquarters
Duration: Full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking an Assistant Communications Director to assist the Communications Director by developing social and digital media strategy, including overseeing UFCW’s texting and email programs. It is a leadership position which requires creating short- and long-term planning, as well as measuring and tracking impact on website and social platforms. This position will guide adoption of new technology, digital products and process across the department, and organization. This position will guide the following for the International Union:
- Brand awareness and online reputation
- Content creation
- Social media engagement with members and UFCW Locals
- Digital community management and marketing
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists Communications Director with strategy and counsels on long-term planning.
- Oversees digital communications programs (email, blast text, peer-to-peer text) and develops regular communication with members using these programs for the International.
- Oversees UFCW’s online properties including UFCW.org and all social media platforms and coordinates with staff to execute the development of original content.
- Ensures the UFCW message and voice is appropriately translated into creative content and works with junior staff to maintain message discipline online.
- Creates digital communications programs to enhance organizing and bargaining campaigns.
- Establishes benchmarks and tracks growth across all digital and online communications platforms. Provide quarterly, and annual analytics and metrics reports.
- Develops workshops and trainings to roll out new communications technology and best practices to local unions.
- Manages digital and design staff.
- Keeps UFCW’s communications current on emerging technology and social trends.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience in digital communications, public relations, social media strategy, or political communications with a strong working knowledge in social media analytics.
- Must have experience in a supervisory role or management position.
- Familiarity with email and text messaging platforms a must, Hustle, Phone2Action, and Action Network platforms preferred.
- Strong writer with experience writing and editing effective copy for online audiences.
- Knows how to report on web and social media analytics and how to use performance to inform future content.
- Amazing story-teller, able to translate information into visual (video, photo, and graphic) executions.
- Experience with basic web design.
- Must be a team player, with a positive attitude, who enjoys collaborative work environments.
- Must possess ability to think strategically, with the ability to prioritize projects and activities.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work under fast-paced environments.
- Self-starter, good at identifying opportunities to improve their work and their organizations’ reach.
- Work requires frequent last-minute travel and/or frequent irregular or unpredictable hours.
- Graphic design and/or video editing skills is a plus.
BA or BS in related field or equivalent work experience.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
To apply, submit cover letter, resume and writing sample to: http://www.dcjobs.com/j/54418938
Our Commitment To Diversity & Inclusion
United Food and Commercial Workers International Union is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).