Tagged as Combustible Dust

RSS

UFCW Statement on OSHA Rulemaking on Combustile Dust

Rulemaking Important First Step in Explosion Prevention

The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a union representing more than 1.3 million workers across North America, applauds the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) issuance of an Advance Notice of Public Rulemaking for combustible dust hazards in the workplace.

“This notice is an important first step on the way to a permanent rule to ensure the safety of millions of American workers,” said Jackie Nowell, Director of the UFCW’s Occupational Safety and Health Office. “More than 900 workers have been killed or injured since 1980 because of combustible dust accidents. These are avoidable tragedies that must be stopped.”

The UFCW also urges OSHA to work quickly to issue a tough rule that will protect workers.

“We can’t wait any longer,” said Nowell, “the time for a tough, comprehensive rule on combustible dust is now. We hope that employers, unions, and OSHA can work together to make this badly needed protection a reality.”

On February 19, 2008, immediately following the Imperial Sugar explosion in Port Wentworth, Ga. that killed 14 workers, the UFCW and  International Brotherhood of Teamsters petitioned the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to immediately issue an Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) for combustible dust in general industry noting that “workers who are employed in facilities where uncontrolled combustible dust emissions are present face ‘grave danger’ of experiencing fatalities or serious injuries as a result of dust explosions and resultant fires.”

This Advance Notice is the first step toward rulemaking since that time.

###
The UFCW represents 1.3 million workers in North America, with nearly 1 million working in grocery stores and 250,000 working in the meatpacking and other food processing industries.

Lawmaker seeks to prod bureacracy to move faster on key cause of refinery inferno

Savanna Morning News
By Larry Peterson

U.S. Rep. John Barrow wants faster action on combustible dust, which fueled last year’s deadly disaster at Imperial Sugar Co.’s local refinery.

The Savannah Democrat is reviving legislation to require the federal government to enact emergency standards concerning the hazard.

Barrow announced his move in the wake of last week’s final report by the U.S. Chemical Safety Board on the Feb. 7, 2008, explosions and fire. The board blamed the 14 fatalities mostly on company officials, who it said long knew the dangers of sugar dust but didn’t eliminate them.

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has begun a lengthy process that could lead to tough new rules on combustible dust.

Barrow and Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., pushed a bill through the house to mandate new rules last year after OSHA balked at calls for it to do so. The bill called for both temporary emergency rules and permanent ones. It passed overwhelmingly in the House but stalled in the Senate.

Barrow and Miller reintroduced the measure this year, but shelved it when OSHA announced its rule-making effort.

But Barrow now says that will take too long.

To read more about the Imperial Sugar Co. refinery explosion, view hundreds of photos and videos, and see documents from the investigation, go to savannahnow.com/news/explosion

“Given the continued threat of combustible-dust explosions and fires,” he said, “we need a temporary standard to prevent tragedies like the one we had at Imperial Sugar.

” … The hard reality is that it could be years at best before … regulations are in place. Meanwhile, the risk of another combustible-dust explosion or fire still exists.”

So Barrow is again pushing for the legislation, which would require OSHA to adopt emergency regulations.

The measure would tell OSHA to issue – within 90 days – an interim standard. It would require better housekeeping, engineering controls, worker training and a written combustible-dust safety program.

“People’s lives are at stake, and we can’t afford the time it will take for a permanent standard to work its way through the bureaucracy,” Barrow said.

Miller, who chairs the House Committee on Education and Labor, supports Barrow’s renewed effort.

“The chairman believes that there is still a real need to enact legislation in order to prevent these horrific explosions,” said Miller spokesman Aaron Albright. “A solid bipartisan majority of the House was on board already last Congress.”

Chris Crawford, spokesman for U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston of Savannah, one of about two dozen Republicans to vote for the bill last year, said Kingston will do so again.

“You would think somewhere between the administration’s executive power and the legislation,” Kingston said in an e-mail, “we could come up with a balanced and workable solution for both the short and long term.” However, Albright acknowledged that, as was the case last year, the Senate could be a road block.

Georgia’s two U.S. senators supported the OSHA rule-making effort after the Chemical Safety Board issued its report last week.

But Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson, both Republicans, said in a joint statement Monday that they are wary about emergency rules.

Chambliss and Isakson agreed with board chairman John Bresland that emergency standards seldom withstand court scrutiny.

Bresland voiced that view last week when asked at a news conference why the board didn’t urge OSHA to adopt emergency rules.

“Moreover,” the senators said, “these temporary rules only add confusion to the regulatory process.”

They said they hope OSHA will “promulgate effective permanent standards as expeditiously as possible … to prevent future tragedies.”

Under the administration of President George W. Bush, the White House had said the president would veto the bill if it passed.

The Obama White House did not respond to requests earlier this year for comment on the Barrow-Miller bill.

OSHA spokesman Michael Wald said Monday that it is the agency’s policy not to comment on pending legislation.

Congress should enact interim combustible dust rules

Savannah Morning News
Editorial

IT’S GOOD that Georgia’s two senators now support permanent, mandatory standards to protect American workers and eliminate hazardous dust in industrial workplaces.

Here’s a better idea for Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss – support proposed legislation that could have the new rules in place in as few as 120 days.

Both Mr. Isakson and Mr. Chambliss were on the fence last year on legislation to establish specific standards on combustible dust in general industries. Instead, the senators opted to wait until the government’s independent experts officially weighed in on the causes of the Feb. 7 explosions and fires that killed 14 workers and injured 36 others at the Imperial Sugar refinery in Port Wentworth.

And now the experts have spoken.

The U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board approved a report Thursday in Savannah, citing a combination of unsafe sugar dust, poor equipment design and poor maintenance as factors in the fatal blast. The four-member, independent board again urged – for the second time in three years – adoption of dust standards to stop such preventable accidents from reoccurring and killing and injuring more workers.

Deliberation in federal rule-making is a positive thing when it stops the creation of excessive, bureaucratic red tape.

This isn’t one of those times.

Instead, in the wake of last Thursday’s affirmation by experts that dust has again needlessly taken lives, there’s a need for speed. Let’s get the new rules in place as soon as possible. Then enforce them.

U.S. Rep. John Barrow, D-Savannah, is co-sponsoring legislation (HR 849) that would fast-track the rule-making process, which means the new dust standards would go into effect in as little as three months.

We support this measure. After the CSB’s report, there’s no reason for Congress and the administration to go slow. Lives are potentially at stake.

Dust standards would make American industries pay attention to potential hazards now, not after workers have been killed or injured and facilities destroyed.

It’s clear from the evidence collected and presented by the CSB that Imperial Sugar was, at the very least, complacent before last February. Management was aware that dust was a hazard. Yet it didn’t take the risk seriously.

Today, Imperial Sugar says it’s a changed company. That’s good. But it took death and destruction for the company to readjust priorities. Many American businesses complain, and rightly so, about new, costly government regulations that appear to serve no legitimate purpose. But this is one instance when additional regulation is a good thing.

Complacency kills. It can kill again. The sooner that dust standards are applied to American industries, the better.