600 York Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07207
Wakefern is the largest retailer-owned cooperative in the U.S. It is owned by 46 member companies who operate supermarkets under the ShopRite banner. (Source: Wakefern Website, http://www.shoprite.com/cnt/wakefern/WFC_TheCooperative.html)
Store Count and Banners
- More than 220 ShopRite stores are located in NY, NJ, CT, PA, DE, and MD.
- 28 of these stores are corporate-owned and the rest are owned by member companies.
- More than 40 corporate-owned PriceRite stores are located in CT, MA, RI, NY, and PA.
(Source: Wakefern Website, http://www.shoprite.com/cnt/wakefern/WFC_Retail.html)
- ShopRite stores and the parent cooperative Wakefern collectively have about 50,000 employees. (Source: ShopRite Website, http://www.shoprite.com/cnt/ShopRiteToday.html)
- The UFCW represents more than 22,000 ShopRite workers. The PriceRite banner is non-union. (Source: UFCW Contract Directory)
- Company management is aggressively resisting workers’ efforts to organize with the UFCW at PriceRite stores – please visit Wakefern Workers United for more information.
2009 sales were $11.7 billion, a 10.4% increase over the prior year. (Source: “Wakefern Expanding ShopRite Banner in Maryland,” Food World, June 2010)