Loblaw Companies

1 President’s Choice Cir.
Brampton, Ontario L6Y 5S5, Canada
http://www.loblaw.com

Loblaw is the largest food retailer in Canada.

Store Count

Loblaw operates 576 corporate owned and 451 franchised stores across Canada, totaling 1,027 stores as of January 1, 2011, the end of fiscal year 2010. (Source: Loblaw 2010 Annual Report, p. 1.)

Key Banners

Atlantic Cash & Carry, Atlantic Superstore, Atlantic SuperValu, club entrepot, Dominion, Extra Foods, Fortino’s, Les Entrepots Presto, Liquorstore, Loblaws, Loblaw Greatfood, Maxi, Maxi & Cie, NG Cash & Carry, nofrills, Provigo, Real Canadian Superstore, Loblaw Superstore, Osaka Supermarket, SaveEasy, T&T Supermarket, ValuMart, Wholesale Club, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs and Zehrs Greatfood. (Source: Loblaw 2010 Annual Report, p. 1.)

Private Labels

Loblaw is known for its strong portfolio of private brands, including President’s Choice, no name, and Joe Fresh. (Source: Loblaw 2010 Annual Report, p. 1.)

Ownership

  • Loblaw is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol L. (Source: Loblaw Website, http://www.loblaw.ca/English/Investor-Centre/Stock-Information/default.aspx)
  • As of March 17, 2011, a controlling interest in the company (62.9% of outstanding common stock) was held by George Weston Limited, a company controlled by Executive Chairman W. Galen Weston (the Canadian equivalent of CEO). In addition, Mr. Weston held another 1.3% of common stock, for a total of 64.2% of outstanding common stock controlled by the CEO. (Source: Loblaw Companies Limited, Management Proxy Circular for May 5, 2011 Annual Meeting, p. 3)

Employees

  • Loblaw had more than 136,000 employees (including employees of franchised stores) at the end of fiscal year 2010. (Source: Loblaw 2010 Annual Report, p. 1.)
  • The UFCW represents more than 70,000 Loblaw workers. (Source: UFCW Contract Directory)

Financial Performance

Sales. Company-wide sales in fiscal year 2010 were $30,997 million (Canadian), up 0.6% from $30,802 million in fiscal year 2008. (Source: Loblaw 2010 Annual Report, p. 3)