Last week, the AFL-CIO introduced “The Koch Sisters”– a national project featuring two women, Karen and Joyce, who share the same last name, but not the same values as the Koch Brothers. The Koch Sisters will bring the issues most Americans care about – from fair wages to protecting Social Security – to the forefront of the political debate.
Like most Americans, Karen and Joyce have worked hard all of their lives and want to ensure their children and grandchildren have the same opportunities they did. They share a belief that working families of this country should have every opportunity to get ahead. In that regard, the Koch Sisters are an ideal, embodied in millions of Americans.
Through a multifaceted campaign beginning with national television advertising, America will get to know the virtues of these two hard-working women. Karen and Joyce Koch share the same last name as the notorious Koch Brothers, but that’s where the similarities end. While not biological siblings, they are sisters in spirit, and in their union bond.
Unlike the Koch Brothers, the Koch Sisters don’t have billions of dollars and they certainly aren’t trying to buy democracy. But they care about our country, and what money in politics is doing to it. And they believe that their voice and the voices of countless Americans are as important as the special interests that use their vast wealth to influence politics and policy.
While the Koch Brothers wield unprecedented and unrivaled money to pollute American politics, the labor movement has and will always support the strongest political force in America: working people.
Last week’s launch was just the beginning. Another ad is available featuring the Koch Sisters and their thoughts on the minimum wage.
Local unions are asked to join the campaign to share and promote the stories of these women and workers like them whose values stand in stark contrast to the right-wing corporate agenda. Help today by doing the following:
- Provide a link the Koch Sisters website, www.kochsisters.org, on your website.
- Tweet the website and the new minimum wage ad and ask your followers to follow @kochsisters on Twitter and Instagram.
- Like the Koch Sisters on Facebook and invite your friends to do so as well –https://www.facebook.com/KochSisters
- Ask your members to stand with the Koch Sisters and share their personal stories on Facebook, Twitter, and www.kochsisters.org.
- Recruit five friends or colleagues to do steps 1-4.