Today is the Minimum Wage Day of Action. Advocates of an increased minimum wage can join the Department of Labor, workers, and allies such as the UFCW in promoting the importance of raising the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.
Tweet the hashtags #1010now and #5Reasons, for the Department of Labor’s 5 reasons to raise the wage, to join us in utilizing the enormous power of social media to advance the cause of workers nationwide. The Department of Labor has also provided images you can copy and tweet in order to express your support in style.
The UFCW is an ardent supporter of the Fair Minimum Wage Act, which would raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour by 2015 and index it to inflation for every year afterwards, to keep pace with the rising cost of living and ensure it never becomes as woefully out-of-date as it is today.
Here are 5 more reasons to support a raised minimum wage:
- If you work full-time for the minimum wage, you earn just $15,080 a year.
- A raise would provide $32 billion in new economic activity, including 140,000 new full-time jobs.
- A raise would mainly affect large companies, like McDonald’s and Walmart.
- 67% of Americans support a raise in minimum wage.
- If the minimum wage from 40 years ago was indexed with inflation, it would be $10.59 an hour today.
Join us in telling Congress that every American deserves fair pay for hard work! Tweet #1010now and #5Reasons to become a part of the Minimum Wage Day of Action, and together we can #RaiseTheWage!