We’ve been celebrating UFCW members who are moms all this week by sharing their stories and highlighting the great work they do. Another way to celebrating UFCW moms? Make sure her gift is union-made! With the help of Union Plus and Labor 411, we’ve got plenty of ideas for Mom’s gift this year, all made by UFCW brothers and sisters!
For other Union Plus savings on Mother’s Day gifts, click here.
Get Mom a gift card to Macy’s, H&M, Bloomingdale’s, Modell’s, or CVS–where she’s sure to be greeted by the hard-working UFCW brothers and sisters who work there!
UFCW-made beauty products:
Caress skin care
Dove beauty care
Lander personal care
UFCW-made recipes to make for mom:
Ingredients: 1 Empire Kosher 8 Piece Cut Up Chicken, 1 tablespoon Empire Kosher Rendered Chicken Fat, Salt, pepper to taste, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 garlic clove, minced, 1 shallot, minced, ¼ cup pomegranate juice (all natural unsweetened cranberry juice is also good), ¼ cup low salt Kosher chicken broth, 1 granny smith apple, cored and diced into ½” pieces, ¼ cup honey
- Pat chicken pieces dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt, pepper and cayenne. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat rendered fat in a Dutch oven or large 12″ skillet on medium high heat until smoking. Add 4 chicken pieces to the skillet and brown on both sides for 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces of chicken.
- Leaving the juices in the pan, add the garlic and shallots, stirring and browning until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the pomegranate juice and broth, stir, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and add apple pieces.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, until the volume is reduced by half. Add honey to the skillet and stir into sauce.
- Place the browned chicken pieces in a casserole dish large enough to accommodate all 8 pieces Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked through (160°F for white meat and 175°F for dark meat).
Linguine Ham Primavera (Thank UFCW members for Farmland Ham)
Ingredients: 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, 3/4 pound Farmland Ham, Julienne Ham Strips, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, 3 cups fresh assorted vegetables lightly steamed, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons flour, 4 oz. uncooked linguine, 3 cups lowfat milk, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut ham into thin strips. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add garlic and cook until tender. Blend in flour. Stir in milk, basil, oregano and pepper; heat until mixture begins to bubble. Add vegetables and ham. Cover and simmer over low heat until mixture is thoroughly heated.
- Add pasta and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired, before serving.
Turkey Mignons with Blue Cheese and Balsamic Glaze (Thank UFCW members for Butterball poultry products)
Ingredients: 1 cup balsamic vinegar, 4 ButterballÂ® Turkey Mignons, 6 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- For balsamic glaze, heat balsamic vinegar in small saucepan on medium heat, stirring frequently, until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare mignons according to package directions for grilling.
- Top each with 1-1/2 tablespoons blue cheese. Return to grill 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top each with 1 teaspoon of balsamic glaze.
All this week, Union Plus is also thanking union moms everywhere for the way they support our union families. Follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for other highlights of union moms everywhere!