Applications for the 2013 UFCW Scholarship were received from March 31, 2013 – June 15, 2013. The International is no longer accepting applications. Please check with your local union for additional scholarship opportunities.
This year’s essay question is:”How have unions impacted your life or your community?”
Please limit your essays to 500 words or less or you may be disqualified.
- The scholarships are limited to any member who has been active since March 1, 2012.
- The children and/or dependents of active members are also eligible to apply if they are unmarried and under the age of 20 on May 31, 2013.
- The scholarship application and essay must be completed by the eligible student to receive the scholarship.
- The scholarship recipients will be selected and awards made on the basis of several factors including scholastic achievements, community involvement and an essay which shows an understanding of the principles of the labor movement.
- The UFCW Scholarship Application Form is completed when the scholarship department receives your Official Grades Transcript and Part V Form (which is provided after you complete the application online). Both must be mailed with a postmark date no later than June 15, 2013. Keep in mind the time frame needed to receive the information from your school.
- Scholarship recipients will receive annual payments of $2,000 for each year they are enrolled in an accredited college or university as a non-probationary student for up to four years.
- Payment is dependent on written evidence of graduation from high school or equivalent and enrollment in an accredited college or university, or institute of higher learning.
- Payment of subsequent stipends is dependent on the recipient’s continued eligibility as outlined in the Scholarship Acceptance Agreement.
Process for Applying
- Read the Procedures thoroughly.
- Complete the UFCW Scholarship Application online. The application requires you to fill out a family profile, list school activities, awards, and your work experience, and completion of an essay. If you are unable to apply online, you may request an application by writing to: UFCW International Union, Attn: Scholarship Program, 1775 K Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20006.
- You and a parent (for students under the age of 18) must sign and date the application before submitting it to your high school officials. Your signatures will authorize your school to release information about you as well as verify that the information you provided is true. It will also allow your local union to release your membership information to the UFCW International Union for the purposes of verifying your eligibility.
- Give the application to your academic counselor who will complete it and mail it along with your grade transcript as well as proof of graduation, intent to graduate or receive your GED.
- Please do not submit any material other than requested.
Receiving the Scholarship
Payment of the Scholarship is dependent on written evidence of enrollment in an accredited college or university and maintaining continued eligibility.
- This award has a maximum renewal of four (4) years or disbursements, is contingent on the recipient submitting to the UFCW written evidence of Registration from the college or university that the student is or will be attending, and the recipient must be registered in such school as a non-probationary student.
- The recipient must agree to maintain a satisfactory grade level and will forward to the UFCW either a copy of his or her grades each quarter or semester, whichever is applicable, or a transcript of grades for the year at the end of each school year.
- Payment of the benefits to scholarship recipients may be temporarily suspended upon written request of the winner under certain circumstances.
- In the event that the recipient’s education should be interrupted for some reason, he or she must notify the UFCW in writing of such expected interruption and advise the UFCW as to the cause for the interruption and the estimated date upon which the recipient expects to resume their studies.
- The UFCW Scholarship Program is maintained and administered by the UFCW International Union, which has full discretion to make all final decisions concerning the number of scholarships awarded each year, the amounts awarded and the recipients of each of the scholarships. The UFCW International Union shall also have full discretion in deciding whether a scholarship is to be continued or deferred for any period of time.
- The procedures for the UFCW Scholarship Program are printed in both French and Spanish on this website. If you need help with understanding the scholarship rules and application in another language, please call 800-551-4010 and we will obtain assistance for you.
- Only Scholarship recipients will be notified via mail.
- Recipients’ names will be posted on the UFCW Website, www.ufcw.org.
- Email email@example.com with questions.