September, 2009

JBS Packerland plant recovers from ammonia leak

Meatingplace.com
By Tom Johnston

An ammonia leak at JBS Packerland’s beef plant in Souderton, Pa., forced the company to send a number of employees to the hospital Tuesday morning as a precaution, but they all were treated and released, spokesman Chandler Keys told Meatingplace.

The leak reportedly occurred at 5 a.m. in a cooler and was detected as employees were arriving and preparing for work. No one was on the floor when the leak occurred, so no one was injured, Keys said.

Management evacuated the plant, initiated the company’s hazardous materials program and shut down the leak. Firefighters called in to check on the incident found no additional leakage, Keys said, adding that plant operations resumed by 10:30 a.m.

The cause of the leak is under investigation. “We’ve got a team looking into what happened and how it happened,” Keys said.

The Souderton plant employs more than 1,000 people and slaughters more than 2,000 head of cattle per day.

Beef committee approves checkoff programs for fiscal 2010

Meatingplace.com
by Hillary Proctor

The Beef Promotion Operating Committee has approved the 30 national checkoff programs to be funded by the $42.3 million budget for Fiscal Year 2010, which begins Oct. 1, 2009.

The budget is up slightly from $41.7 million in Fiscal Year 2009, thanks to higher checkoff revenue than expected and unspent administration funds. The Operating Committee, composed of 10 members of the Cattlemen’s Beef Board and 10 producers from State Beef Councils, aimed to design a plan of research, information programs and work funds promotion that would build demand for beef. The USDA still must sign off on the plan before funds can be used.

Approved checkoff programs include:

  • About $18.5 million for promotion, which encompasses advertising, retail and food service marketing and new product/culinary initiatives, as well as a Northeast Beef Promotion Initiative and veal marketing.
  • Nearly $6.2 million for research projects, exploring beef safety, product enhancement, human nutrition, beef markets and more.
  • More than $4.8 million for consumer information programs, including the Northeast initiative, national consumer public relations, National Beef Cook-Off public relationships, and nutrition-influencer relations.
  • About $3 million for industry information projects, which covers the National Beef Ambassador Program, beef and dairy-beef quality assurance programs, and dissemination of accurate information about the beef industry to dispel misinformation from other groups.
  • Nearly $5.3 million for foreign marketing and education about U.S. beef in the Caribbean, Central and South American, the Dominican Republic, Europe, the Middle East, Greater China, Japan, Mexico, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand.
  • $1.8 million for producer communications and outreach, emphasizing the checkoff’s Beef Quality Assurance and Issues and Reputation Management programs.

Other miscellaneous costs include evaluation of checkoff programs, program development, USDA oversights and administration, totaling nearly $3 million.

Report Cites Lack of Precautions in 2008 Sugar Plant Fire

The New York Times
by Shaila Dewan

ATLANTA — A huge fire last year at a sugar refinery near Savannah, Ga., that killed 14 workers and injured 36 more was “entirely preventable,” a federal official said Thursday as the results of an investigation into the fire’s causes were released.

The owner of the plant, the Imperial Sugar Company, and the plant’s managers knew for decades about the hazards of sugar dust but failed to take the necessary precautions, according to the report, issued by the Chemical Safety Board, which investigates industrial chemical accidents.

The report blamed inadequate equipment design, poor maintenance and ineffective housekeeping for the explosion and fire in February 2008, and said that Imperial Sugar and the sugar industry as a whole were aware of the dangers of dust explosions at least as early as 1925.

In a written statement, John C. Sheptor, the president and chief executive of Imperial Sugar, said the company had “collaborated” with the safety board on the report and was “working diligently” to put in place the report’s safety recommendations.

The report also cited internal memorandums at the plant, in Port Wentworth, Ga., dating from 1967, before it was owned by Imperial Sugar, showing that managers were concerned about the possibility that accumulations of sugar dust could ignite a chain of explosions that would destroy “large sections of the plant.”

The initial explosion most likely occurred inside a sugar conveyor situated beneath two silos, the report said.

The conveyor had recently been enclosed, creating “a confined, unventilated space where sugar dust could accumulate to an explosive concentration,” the safety board said.

That explosion quickly spread, igniting sugar dust and spilled sugar in adjacent areas.

Imperial Sugar had not conducted evacuation drills and the explosion and fires disabled most emergency lighting, trapping workers in a dark maze of corridors, the report said.

The Chemical Safety Board does not issue citations or levy fines, but in July 2008, the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration found violations at the Port Wentworth plant and at an Imperial Sugar plant in Gramercy, La., where an inspection five weeks after the Georgia fire found sugar dust four feet thick in some areas.

The agency proposed fines of $8.7 million, the third-largest in the agency’s history. Imperial Sugar is contesting the fine.

Brent J. Savage, a lawyer in Savannah who is representing some of the victims or family members of victims in lawsuits against the plant, said the report reinforced their case and cast new suspicion on insurers and other third-party inspectors, who the report said failed to make note of accumulations of sugar dust at the plant.

The first of his clients whose case is going to trial is Paul Seckinger, a mechanic who was badly burned and who, Mr. Savage said, has incurred more than $8 million in medical bills.

“They did an unbelievably in-depth study and they had access to things that a typical plaintiff’s lawyer would not,” Mr. Savage said of the safety board.